Extra Extra! Read All About Us

Flood Damage & Wet Carpet Drying Frequently Asked Questions FAQ

flooded carpet drying Auckland

These water damage flood restoration and carpet drying flood tips are provided to you by Graeme Stephens. An IICRC 2001 Master Restoration Technician with over 33 years of water damage flood restoration in West Auckland, North Shore, East, South Auckland, and Hibiscus Coast.   To help you care for your home or workplace. Also, save on unnecessary water damages, mould health issues, or replacement costs. For the flood Faqs restoration or carpet drying service experts, call 0800 783-266, or email Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry Carpet.

Q. Do I call a Flood Restoration Expert First

Your first obligation is to mitigate the damage. The best way to minimise the water damage is to get a flood restoration expert there ASAP. Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry Carpet & flood restorations experts can usually be on site with an hour. After the water, damage mitigation has been priced and commenced. You can then decide if you’re going to get insurance to pay. Have peace of mind that you have help and an Allie throughout the water damage drying and remediation process.

Q. Will you Kill Viruses, Bacterial & Mould Disinfect

Last updated: 17th April 2020.  Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry provides 99.99% coronavirus disinfection. Large commercial size ozone generators, fogging machines on wheels and misting units disinfecting sanitisation services in Auckland.

Since 1995, Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry has provided biohazard remediation services such as the microbial remediation of mould, fungi, viruses bacteria, and other pathogens. Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry use FDA approved industrial-strength disinfectant products with a broad spectrum kill claims to eliminate 99.99% of viruses. The COVID-19 – SARS-CoV-2 remains infectious outside of a host from 2 hours up to 9 days. Further testing has shown the virus remains contagious for up to 3 hours in the air and 2 to 14 days on plastic and steel surfaces. With our sizeable commercial size ozone generators, fogging machines on wheels, and misting units, we also wipe down cleaning.

Q. What damage can floods cause?

A. A flood can cause extensive damage to your home’s structure, walls, skirting boards, carpets, furnishings, personal items, as well as you and your family’s health. Depending on the depth of water, there could be substantial tear-out needed. Major floods can damage your foundation. Home and building insurance provide homeowners with the financial capability to take quick action and reduce the damage to their homes. Homeowners can purchase up to $1,000,000 in insurance policy coverage for their homes. And up to $100,000 for their personal belongings content in their home. Commercial property owners can purchase insurance policy coverage limits of up to $2,000,000 for their building and $2,000,000 for their content in their buildings.

Q. What is covered by your insurance?

Major New Zealand insurance companies generally have two basic types of home and building insurance policy coverage: Building policies cover typically everything that is attached to your home building. Such as your home or building structure, walls, skirting boards, cabinetry, and fixed down carpets.

The content Insurance policy covers everything that isn’t attached to the building fixture, such as furniture and personal belongings.

Q. What should I do when I first notice water damage?

Following a water-related incident, quickly switch off circuit breakers that distribute power to flooded areas. Remember that safety comes first. If you think it is unsafe or even if you are not sure, call us first—twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  Secondly, call your insurance company to inform them of the damage. This drying wet carpet FAQ guide should help. If not, or you are unsure, immediately make arrangements to stay elsewhere.

Q. What level of building or content insurance policy coverage should I get?

Talk to your insurance agent about the value of your home and insuring appropriately for a significant loss, which may exceed the loan value. Our risk score can give you an idea of the probability of loss.

Q. Doesn’t my homeowners building insurance policy cover flooding?

All New Zealand homeowner’s insurance policies do cover flood remediation.

Q. How long will it take my property for proper structure and carpet drying?

The drying process depends on several factors, including location, duration, and source of water, the types of building materials, the weather conditions, and how quickly emergency services begin. Timetable depends on many scenarios such as carpet, underlay, subfloor, skirting boards, walls, and structure.  We use moisture meters to find and monitor the moisture in the walls etc. to ensure satisfactory drying.  Auckland Steam ‘n’ Dry has a minimum of 3-day hire, which includes installation. The general rule of the timetable is:

Three days – Carpet only

Four days – Underlay and carpet

Five days – Subflooring, walls, underlay and carpet (in most cases)

Seven days – For significantly affected structure or double stuck installations

FAQ. How much does water damage restoration cost?

Water damage restoration or water mitigation costs can vary greatly. The following are average costs by type of water damage:

  • Category 1 Clean Water: $3.75 per square foot
  • Category 2 Gray Water: $4.50 per square foot
  • Category 3 Black Water: $7.00 per square foot

Some factors go into calculating water mitigation costs. Temperature, humidity, type of materials impacted, length of time water stayed in place, and the possibility of mould cleanup can all impact cost. It is prudent to be cautious and check references when selecting a contractor to do water damage repair work. Talk to your adjuster about the best approach to take.

Q. How long will it take for mould to start growing after the flood?

Within 48 hours of the leak or flood – Call us on 0800 783-266 or 021 287 5454 for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, immediate flood restoration.

Q. How often do floods happen?

Floods can occur at any time. Every thousand years, this area will flood ten times; when such floods will happen; however, left to chance. You could have three 100-year floods within five years. As our climate changes, historical data isn’t always a reliable predictor of future events.

Q. What are the causes of a flood?

Even though the most apparent causes of water damage are, burst pipe plumbing, washing machine overflows, heavy rain floods, a simple rainfall or snowfall causing a leak somewhere can result in water damage. 

Q. How does a flood happen?

Floods typically come from three primary sources:

  1. Burst pipe plumbing, washing machine overflow, or sewage backups
  2. Heavy rains that cause flash flooding or overcomes the standard drainage systems in an area; and
  3. Flooding from rivers – Flooding can also cause the failure of human-made flood defences such as dams, levees, or dikes.

Q. Should I open the windows to help the drying process?

Extreme weather conditions may vary, so the technician will determine when and if the outside air is appropriate.

Q. What is the definition of a flood under a homeowner’s building or content insurance policy?

In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water from within the home, office, or from outside the normally dry building land. Damage caused by a sewer backup is covered by insurance if the back-up is a direct result of flooding.

Q. Can my carpet be dried restored, or will it have to be replaced?

Although it varies from case to case, here are a few reasons your carpet drying may not be salvageable:
Delamination: This occurs when the backing separates from the carpet fibres—the result of, failing to mitigate the damage, necessarily. Call the flood restoration experts without delay.

Q. How does homeowners’ insurance differ from renters insurance?

There are two basic insurance policy coverage types provided by a flood policy. The building policy covers the structure and utilities of a property. Contents insurance policy coverage includes the items that you own, such as clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. If you rent your home, you can purchase coverage for your contents. You will need to check with your landlord to see if they have any building, flood insurance policy coverage.

Q. Why are carpet dryers, air movers, and dehumidifier hire used?

Water can be absorbed into the drywall, baseboards, sub-flooring when water damage occurs. Drying these surfaces requires high-velocity air mover, carpet dryer hire, blower fans. Large, 90l capacity, dehumidifier rental Auckland. Thus, it vastly accelerates the release of absorbed water into the air. It is necessary to place dehumidifiers to remove excess moisture to help protect property and create conditions for fast, efficient drying.

Q. Can I get personal property insurance policy coverage as a renter?

 You can get content insurance to cover the contents of your home, apartment, or business.

Q. My carpet has stained?

Your carpet may brown during the drying process.  Do not be too concerned, because this usually comes out with the carpet cleaning.

Q. How do I know what moisture is behind my walls, and it won’t turn into black mould?

We may need to make service calls to monitor the drying process with non-evasive moisture meters for hard surfaces, moisture probes for subflooring, underlay, and a hydro sensor for air relative humidity reading. These moisture meters can detect moisture 40cm within invisible walls, which can promptly find the leak source for plumbing repairs. We also have infrared cameras for finding hidden moisture.

Q. What is the definition of a flood under a household building insurance policy?

Flooding occurs when water from within the home or office building leaks from burst pipe plumbing, washing machine overflows. Also, from outside, your structure rises and causes damage to your property and at least one other property. The source of the water can be an overflow of inland or tidal waters, the unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source or mudflow.

Q. What is Mudflow?

Mudflow is “A river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally dry land areas, as when a current of water carries the earth mud or dirt.” Other earth movements, such as landslide, slope failure, or a saturated soil mass moving by liquidity down a slope, are not mudflows. Mudflows commonly defined in layman’s terms as a flow of milkshake consistency.

What To Do Before, During, and After a Flood

 How long will it be before the flood restoration is appropriately dry and complete?

It is crucial to allow the building drying to complete to below 18% as if it is not dried correctly, and it will create a long-term/permanent unhealthy, musty mould smell from black mould grown within the building structure.  Black mould can be carcinogenic. It is also affecting the wooden subfloor and structure root damage.

Successful Flood Restoration

Air movers hire, blow dry air under to dry carpet (or above for glued down carpeting). Which also draws the dampness out of the walls and subflooring. Thus dispels the moisture into the air for the dehumidifier to remove.

Dehumidifier rentals. To draw out moisture to IICRC industry standards.  To draw the dampness out of the hard surfaces, which are generally the last areas to dry.

For the Flooded carpet drying Auckland wide specialists phone 0800 783-266, or send an email.

5-Star Auckland Flood Cleaners Reviews

Google Reviews Flood Drying Carpet South Auckland

No cowboys Reviews 

Trademe Dry Carpets Service Reviews

Facebook Flood Reviews

Google Map Reviews Flood Drying Auckland Hib Coast

Yelp Carpet Cleaning Reviews

Google Reviews Flooded Carpet Auckland Steam n Dry

Thus, written by Graeme Stephens 2001 IICRC Certified Master Restoration Technician with over 33 years of water damage flood mitigation and carpet drying experience.

Updated: 17th June 2020

Free Instant Online Quote and Booking

See your local area contact number, details and reviews

Auckland City:

West Auckland City:

North Shore City:

South Auckland City:

East Auckland City:

Hib Coast Auckland City: